WatchBus 手錶討論區 :: 觀看文章 - [問題]鈦金屬產生刮痕能否拋光?
開新主題 回覆文章 Share
發表人 內容
wy02
資深會員
資深會員
發表 發表於: 星期三 2003-07-02 23:30
引言回覆

http://www.paneristi.com/archives/polishing.html

Titanium Scratch Removal

By Ken.

Having seen and participated in so many posts here and elsewhere on this subject (saw another one in TZ today), the curiosity had to get the better of me and it did. I kept thinking about it in bed last night and being a trained Engineering professional went through a deduction process, starting with the properties of Titanium and etc. etc. Having convinced myself it had to be possible, I got up at midnight, picked up my PAM0061 and looked for an ink eraser and some ultra-fine modelling grit paper. I experimented on the crown bridge figuring that at worst, this could be replaced entirely, rather than the case itself. I used the ink eraser first as it was the least aggressive, and it worked so remarkably well that I just kept with it (did not use grit paper). Surface scratches, minor dings and nicks were removeable. I proceeded with the rest of the watch and 5 hours later, I was holding in my hand a fully restored PAM0061! I developed a technique to finish off the surfaces so that there were no color differences between the oxidized and fresh surfaces. It did not alter the finish of the watch at all. True: Showed it to my wife who was aware of the scratches and nicks, and she thought I bought a new watch. Well, I did later in the day but that's a different story - see other post.

So, at least I have answered this question for myself and am well pleased with the results. There must be more elegant and professional ways than mine, which have been somewhat elusive (trade secret?). Time and patience is the real key here for good results, and I think this is why no service center will do it. Not sure why they don't just say that.

That's the story then, but for details read on.

I am providing the process of what I did, but the usual caveats and disclaimers must apply. I am sharing my personal experience (and NOT providing advice or instructions) on the Titanium finish that is found on the Panerai Luminor Marina Titanium PAM0061 and therefore cannot be responsible for any misdemeanors. I was also afraid I might be breaking Forum rules here, but I read it again and it didn't seem to be so (and Guy may correct me or censor this as appropriate)

Tools: B&L 5X Eye Loupe, Ink Eraser (blue), soft toothbrush, Cadie jewelry cloth, hair blower.

Steps

1. Cleaned watch (straps removed) using toothbrush with water and mild LIQUID hand soap.

2. Dried watch with hair blower.

3. Rubbed damaged surface using eraser with light pressure, in the direction of the brush finish.

4. Routinely inspected the defect with eye loupe on progress. Important as this helped me learn what it takes and does! Patience, patience, patience.....I found that more pressure doesn't mean faster but slowly got the feel of the optimum pressure with routine inspection with eye loupe.

5. Regularly cleaned debris from surface with fingers and tissue paper.

6. I set the standard of "good enough" when not visible to naked eye at 6 inches, and barely or not visible with 5X.

7. When finished, washed the watch again with toothbrush in water and mild LIQUID hand soap. Dried using hair blower.

8. Cleaned watch with "light cloth", which evens out the color of the surfaces, polish with "dark cloth" per instructions of the Cadie Jewelry Cloth (many other similar "two piece" jewelry cloths).

9. Done.

Other observations

1. Surface color becomes lighter in areas which are being worked, but this is removing the Ti-oxide layer. It does re-oxidize fairly quickly, and the color pretty much evens out after clean and polish with jewelry cloth. In fact, the color on my watch now is more even than its ever been.

2. After completing the 44mm PAM0061, I had used up about 2mm of the eraser edge. Did not use much then, and I found a light pressure sufficient, and there is an optimum which I eventually got the feel of. Regular eye loupe inspection and PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE.

3. I removed about 8 minor nicks/dings and 3 surface scratches in about 4 hours.

Now did I say something about patience?
wy02
資深會員
資深會員
發表 發表於: 星期日 2003-07-13 11:07
引言回覆

My own experience:

I didn't dare to use an ink eraser, it might be too harsh to the watch. Insteade, I used a pencil eraser.

Result: Tiny scratches are not as obvious as the condition prior to the removing work. But still visible if examining closely be naked eyes. Perhaps I need more 'patience' as the author suggested.

Why this works: I guess, just guess, it's because the oxidized surface is removed.

Watch fans, please share how you remove marks and scratches on a titanium watch with us. 非常高興
s883131
進階會員
進階會員
發表 發表於: 星期六 2008-01-05 10:58
引言回覆

changcarl 寫到:
不要客氣
我想wy02兄應該是擔心買到鈦合金手錶容易刮傷吧!
其實 我到覺得這點還好
(補充一下 大部分的鈦合金錶都是噴沙表面 刮傷以後反而更難處理!)
不管是不鏽鋼還是鈦合金 多多少少還是會刮傷的
還是取決於使用環境
連我的ROLEX 16600藍寶石水晶都有刮傷
可以想想我的錶不管是鈦合金還是不鏽鋼都難逃刮傷吧!
我喜歡鈦合金是因為輕 抗鏽蝕 特別是我是很會流汗的人
我的工作又不是做冷氣房
曾經在王進龍先生著的書中看過ROLEX被鏽蝕的痕跡
那實在很可怕 所以我沒留幾隻不鏽鋼的
但是鈦合金雖然輕 可是我有朋友看過grand seiko的鈦合金款後
反而選了不鏽鋼款 (有機會可以去試試看grand seiko的錶 不鏽鋼戴起來卻沒什麼重量! 日本人真的有一套!)
因為他覺得太輕了 沒有質感!

尤其是鈦合金又有拋光的話
更容易括傷啦
之前有一支oris 1000m鈦合金表也是有這樣的問題ㄚ
不過確實會比不鏽鋼輕很多唷
Randolph
進階會員
進階會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2015-07-10 11:50
引言回覆

鈦合金拉絲比拋光容易
沒有特殊器材藥液要拋鈦非常困難