[分享] Rolex GMT II
前往頁面 1, 2  下一頁
發表人 內容
Etacaa
中級會員
中級會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2004-07-16 06:15
引言回覆

I am new here on Watchbus. I ran into this website accidentally and loved it. I browsed through the forum and couldn't find many discussions on Rolex and GMT II specifically. So, I'd like to take the chance to share my experience with the friends on Watchbus.

First of all, while Rolex is the most recognized watch in the world, Rolex's image was sort of "ruined" in Taiwan as "for rich but less sophisticated persons". It does not do any justice to Rolex. Rolex is the basis of almost all modern watches. It invented the first self winding movement, waterproof case, date window, two time zone, etc. In addition, according to TomeZone: "The Company itself is unique in that it is still privately owned and that the principal shareholder is a private family trust all of whose profits are given to charity. Due to this unique structure it does not have to concern itself with short-term profit goals and can therefore plan for the long term."

Secondly, while discussing Rolex, people seem to focus on the Sub, SD, and Exp I/II. One of the best models, GMT II, is seldom talked about. It may be due to marketing hype or something else. While GMT II is one of the most desirable watches to many collectors, it is less popular as its brother Submariner in the eyes of laymen. Most people don't know much more about GMT II than the "a 24hr hand for second time zone".

GMT II incorporates probably the most features invented by Rolex:

1. It uses the same rugged and precise base movement as Sub. You can virtually drop it from the 6th floor and it will still pass the COSC tests.

2. It is waterproved to 100M, way above any recreational divers need. BTW, it is "real 100M", not like those watches that are ranked 100M waterproof but the watch makers discourage you to dive with them.

3. GMT II provides the convenience of "jump-hour hand", i.e. the watch is still running when you adjust the hour hand to another time zone. Who cares if your watch gains only a second or two a day if you disrupt it everytime you change timezones?

4. The rotatable bezel can also measure elapsed times ranging from minutes, to a full day, depending on which hand you are watching.

5. As for all watches with 24hr hands, GMT II can be used as a solar compass when the 24hr hand is set to the local time zone.

6. Sub uses an oversized crown. The big crown looks cool. The idea is to make it easier to adjust the time on a big crown with dive gloves on. However, it is not practical. When do you need to adjust the watch with dive gloves on? I am a divemaster and have done many dives. I put on my dive gloves when I am above to dive, typically on a boat or very close to the water. If you unscrew the crown, you risk the chance that water gets into your watch. Remember the watch is NOT waterproved when the crown is not locked tightly. Besides, Rolex is very accurate. Why do you need to adjust the time on the spot? Maybe you'd like to sync with your buddies. But, it should be done way before you hit the water. On the other hand, GMT II's twinlock crown may be small, but it is the same size crown as what Rolex made its reputation of having an impervious watchcase with, decades ago.

After all, except Daytona, GMT II has the most complicated movement from Rolex. Well, Rolex doesn't really have "complications". But, it is quite an achievement to make watches so rugged and still meeting the COSC Chronometer Certification. I don't think that PP or Lange can survive if dropped from the 6th floor.

Just my humble opinions to share with you.
William
中級會員
中級會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2004-07-16 21:23
引言回覆

Yeah, GMT 2 is a nice watch. I saw many wearing it with red-blue bezel here in CT. It pretty noticeable. 嘲笑 Congratulation, you own a wonderful watch which is 眨眼 a good tool, too.

William
u188i188
新進會員
新進會員
發表 發表於: 星期六 2004-07-17 00:13
引言回覆

brother etacca

Nice article. I like GMT II as well and it is more "sharp" than 16610.
Etacaa
中級會員
中級會員
發表 發表於: 星期六 2004-07-17 01:39
引言回覆

Thanks, guys.

BTW, for $60, you can change GMT's bezel to red/blue, red/black, all black, brown/gold, or all brown an an authorized ROLEX dealer.
Omega
分區版面管理員
分區版面管理員
發表 發表於: 星期六 2004-07-17 08:09
引言回覆

Nice article!! Etacaa!! 讚
Unfortunately, many Rolex lovers, they love more EXP II/EXP I than GMT II. 害羞
But fortunately, it gives us a chance to pay less and can buy a more functionable watch ... 裝白ㄘ
I love my GMT II... 哈 哈 哈 哈 哈 哈
wahwah
新進會員
新進會員
發表 發表於: 星期六 2004-07-17 23:04
引言回覆

$60 in US dollars for changing the colour of bezel?

$220 hk dollars for changing the bezel in hk
ldavid
進階會員
進階會員
發表 發表於: 星期六 2004-07-17 23:35
引言回覆

I LIKE GMTII
albert weng
初級會員
初級會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2004-09-17 00:05
引言回覆

Etacaa 寫到:
I am new here on Watchbus. I ran into this website accidentally and loved it. I browsed through the forum and couldn't find many discussions on Rolex and GMT II specifically. So, I'd like to take the chance to share my experience with the friends on Watchbus.

First of all, while Rolex is the most recognized watch in the world, Rolex's image was sort of "ruined" in Taiwan as "for rich but less sophisticated persons". It does not do any justice to Rolex. Rolex is the basis of almost all modern watches. It invented the first self winding movement, waterproof case, date window, two time zone, etc. In addition, according to TomeZone: "The Company itself is unique in that it is still privately owned and that the principal shareholder is a private family trust all of whose profits are given to charity. Due to this unique structure it does not have to concern itself with short-term profit goals and can therefore plan for the long term."

Secondly, while discussing Rolex, people seem to focus on the Sub, SD, and Exp I/II. One of the best models, GMT II, is seldom talked about. It may be due to marketing hype or something else. While GMT II is one of the most desirable watches to many collectors, it is less popular as its brother Submariner in the eyes of laymen. Most people don't know much more about GMT II than the "a 24hr hand for second time zone".

GMT II incorporates probably the most features invented by Rolex:

1. It uses the same rugged and precise base movement as Sub. You can virtually drop it from the 6th floor and it will still pass the COSC tests.

2. It is waterproved to 100M, way above any recreational divers need. BTW, it is "real 100M", not like those watches that are ranked 100M waterproof but the watch makers discourage you to dive with them.

3. GMT II provides the convenience of "jump-hour hand", i.e. the watch is still running when you adjust the hour hand to another time zone. Who cares if your watch gains only a second or two a day if you disrupt it everytime you change timezones?

4. The rotatable bezel can also measure elapsed times ranging from minutes, to a full day, depending on which hand you are watching.

5. As for all watches with 24hr hands, GMT II can be used as a solar compass when the 24hr hand is set to the local time zone.

6. Sub uses an oversized crown. The big crown looks cool. The idea is to make it easier to adjust the time on a big crown with dive gloves on. However, it is not practical. When do you need to adjust the watch with dive gloves on? I am a divemaster and have done many dives. I put on my dive gloves when I am above to dive, typically on a boat or very close to the water. If you unscrew the crown, you risk the chance that water gets into your watch. Remember the watch is NOT waterproved when the crown is not locked tightly. Besides, Rolex is very accurate. Why do you need to adjust the time on the spot? Maybe you'd like to sync with your buddies. But, it should be done way before you hit the water. On the other hand, GMT II's twinlock crown may be small, but it is the same size crown as what Rolex made its reputation of having an impervious watchcase with, decades ago.

After all, except Daytona, GMT II has the most complicated movement from Rolex. Well, Rolex doesn't really have "complications". But, it is quite an achievement to make watches so rugged and still meeting the COSC Chronometer Certification. I don't think that PP or Lange can survive if dropped from the 6th floor.

Just my humble opinions to share with you.

Hi Etacca,

U almost got me convinced on purchasing GMT II. I was thinking about 16570 but the bezel is NOT rotatable. Sigh, it's a toss up decision for me.

BTW, nice article. I am glad to see such a good article here. It's very informative.
albert weng
初級會員
初級會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2004-09-17 00:11
引言回覆

Omega 寫到:
Nice article!! Etacaa!! 讚
Unfortunately, many Rolex lovers, they love more EXP II/EXP I than GMT II. 害羞
But fortunately, it gives us a chance to pay less and can buy a more functionable watch ... 裝白ㄘ
I love my GMT II... 哈 哈 哈 哈 哈 哈

Hi Omega,

I am just wondering where u at?

I now live in Taipei and I checked the price for GMT (16710) and it was asking 149xxx. But for the EXP II, it was asking like 147xxx. Do you think I can get more discount if I go for GMT?

Thanks!
phototalk123
中級會員
中級會員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2004-09-17 00:16
引言回覆

albert weng 寫到:

Hi Etacca,

U almost got me convinced on purchasing GMT II. I was thinking about 16570 but the bezel is NOT rotatable. Sigh, it's a toss up decision for me.

BTW, nice article. I am glad to see such a good article here. It's very informative.

I am not a Rolex lover myself, but I found this article very very
informative, and it show that the owner actually loves, and knows the
watch, rather then just a show off piece. This is a special connection that
I think all the watch owner shoud have with their watch collection.
Every watch is unique to him or her, only they can tell the story of their own watch, nobody else can comment on that, and that is fact.

We need more watch lover like Etacca.
從之前的文章開始顯示:
1頁(共2頁)
前往:

無法 在這個版面發表文章
無法 在這個版面回覆文章
無法 在這個版面編輯文章
無法 在這個版面刪除文章
無法 在這個版面進行投票
無法 在這個版面上傳附加圖檔
可以 在這個版面下載已上傳之附加圖檔