引言回覆

現在可打
flyback
歐美特派員
歐美特派員
發表 發表於: 星期二 2003-12-02 13:52
引言回覆

Is is too late to talk you out of buying a Rolex? 哈 哈 哈

First, I want to apologize in advance for those who will be offended by what I'm going to write. I can be an extremist (or even anal) when it comes to certain things and one of them is my watch. I think a watch is a very personal item, and for me, I'd love to get the best quality within my budget. I think Rolex offer a bigger name than its craftmanship, which I'm not sure if I'd want to spend that kind of money on. If you are looking for the "wow" factor, then I don't think you can get any better than a Rolex. But for the same price, I can always find a better movement, or better polishes. I can always find a watch company with better history. To me, I'd rather see a nod of approval for a JLC or GO or any other lessor known brands than a praise over a Rolex Daytona.

On the other hand, one of the theme of this forum is "personal preference". If you are indeed looking for the name, then go for it, especially, if it makes you feel good. However, if you want to play or appreciate what you have on your wrist before you go to bed each night, then you should think again.

I've looked into a Type XX. Although I have compared it to a Mercedes A-Class, it's still a Breguet. I'm not a big fan of Mass production, that's why I withdrew my interest from this watch, but I still prefer it over a Rolex though. A type XX may not be as nice as a Blancpain Flyback, but it's still a fine Flyback movement. There are 2 basic models. The one without date is Aeronavale, and the one with date is Transatlantique. Straps can be anything. It's actually rather rugged and sporty.

Anyway, I hope this will help you to make or confirm your decision. I just want to offer you a different point of view.

Flyback.
Omega
分區版面管理員
分區版面管理員
發表 發表於: 星期二 2003-12-02 14:55
引言回覆

flyback:
I couldn't agree with your thought more!!
And I believe many people knew it.

But, unfortunately, Rolex has become a MUST-HAVE watch around the world, this would contribute to the company's massive propaganda.

I also believe many Watchbusers here had or have or will have a Rolex.

I have one, GMT II, but my favorite is Omega SM GMT...

So, maybe most people will start to appreciate other watches when they own(ed) a Rolex, or maybe just add Rolex to one of their jewlery!!! 非常高興 非常高興 非常高興

Just my personal feeling about this BIG NAMED watch... 非常高興 非常高興
BS
訪客
發表 發表於: 星期二 2003-12-02 21:48
引言回覆

That's BS! :twisted:

Rolex is without doubt the most recognized watch in the world, what is not so well known is that the modern Rolex is the basis of almost all modern watches. The waterproof case, the self winding movement, the date window in the dial, the GMT two time zone watch and the diving watch are all Rolex inventions.

The Company itself is unique in that it is still privately owned and that the principal shareholder is a private family trust all of whose profits are given to charity. Due to this unique structure it does not have to concern itself with short-term profit goals and can therefore plan for the long term.
wy02
資深會員
資深會員
發表 發表於: 星期二 2003-12-02 22:24
引言回覆

Here we go again...... 眨眼

As we all know already by now, there is no single answer to this endless dispute... 非常高興 It just depends on what standpoint you take, as simple as that.

Come on, boys, there are many other questions awaiting for your solutions... 非常高興
flyback
歐美特派員
歐美特派員
發表 發表於: 星期四 2003-12-04 13:44
引言回覆

wy02, you have a good sense of humor. Hey, I didn't mean to pick fights here. But I was just trying to be honest and let wqz077 know what others may think.

Omega, thanks for writing back. I think everything has something to do with marketing. There's a reason why Breguet keeps telling you Winston Churchill wore a Breguet; or Blancpain keeps saying it has never made and will never make any quartz watches. We just have to filter the noise out and figure out what we are really looking for. I think I am fortunate to have skipped that "I must have a rolex" phase before my first purchase. And by tomorrow, hopefully, I'll be able to close the deal on a GO PanoReserve (I have an oral agreement already).

BS, Rolex is without doubt the most recognized watch in the world. Just because most people know about Rolex, it doesn't mean they know about watches. I'm not a Rolex history buff, so I can't tell you exactly what happened in the past 90+ years. For one thing, I know for sure the self-winding movement was not a Rolex invention (they might have improved it). A lot of companies like to claim this honor with Perrelet and Breguet being the front runners. According to Breguet.com, circa 1771, Breguet himself started making a self winding movement, and in 1780, he sold the first model to the public. Other claims were all around the same period. I really doubt Rolex can make that claim before its existence. If you want some interesting reading, please visit this site.

As for the Date window, IMHO, it's a compromise for not being able to have a big date, which is more difficult and expensive to make. I also find the phrase "perpetual date" misleading, but that's just me. As for the waterproof case, I personally don't consider it a major technological advancement in watch history (not to the movement itself anyway). As a side note, I think the coaxial escapement by Omega is a pretty cool recent improvement and definitely worth mentioning.

Yes, Rolex makes everything in-house (although, I think they have tried a Zenith movement before), and the company is still stand alone. So does Seiko. I'm not saying they are comparable. However, making it in-house and making it in-house mostly by hand are two different things. As I mentioned, without the aid of any heavy machinery, they won't be able to pump out 700,000+ watches a year. Glashuette Original, for example, makes everything in-house by hand and they make around 4000 a year. If you want, you can even track down the guy who engraved your watch, b/c there are only like 5 of them. PP is a "mass producer" among luxury brands, and they make 15,000/year. Breguet, with Dr. Hayek's leadership, is trying to catch up to that same output. My point is, if a company makes watches by hand for the most part (which I personally appreciate), there's no way you can match Rolex's output.

I don't know Rolex well, and I wasn't able to find much info from the website. May I ask if Rolex has ever produced a Tourbillon, minute repeater, Perpetual Calender, Annual Calender, or equation of time? How about flyback chrono, split second chrono, power reserve, moonphase, big date or other lessor complications? I haven't seen any of these complications on a Rolex. If they do exist, I'm very interested in learning about them.

Anyway, I do not have the intention to challenge all the Rolex owners or advocates in this forum. Again, I'm not here to pick fights. However, I just want to offer a different point of view. I think Rolex has its market for a reason, but I suppose I don't fall into their target demographics. On the other hand, I'm very interested in hearing what you all think about this. At the end, I just hope we can provide enough info for wqz077.
$$$$$
訪客
發表 發表於: 星期四 2003-12-04 21:56
引言回覆

The Company itself is unique in that it is still privately owned and that the principal shareholder is a private family trust all of whose profits are given to charity. Due to this unique structure it does not have to concern itself with short-term profit goals and can therefore plan for the long term.

I rather let Rolex making money! At least part of my money go to charity!

Rolex isn't the best amount all the watch brands.

But please do remember they provide the best after service around the world. Please tell me which brand has such service? Special in Taiwan...even the the big name brand like OMEGA can't do a good job!
How many times do you have your watch service by their Taiwan service center?

Rolex isn't the best pick for you guys (watch g...)
but withou any doubt it's the number one pick for people who want to spend a little extra money on the watch!

I am not saying you or any one has to buy Rolex.
But when you tell people to buy the name brand watch and cost a lots of $$$$! Please also tell them how's their after service in Taiwan.
Do they have the ability to service HIGH END watch.
That's my point!
flyback
歐美特派員
歐美特派員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2003-12-05 01:47
引言回覆

$$$$$,

I think it's perfectly fine if you want to buy the name, the durability, and the service. I'm not in Taiwan, and have never been there, so I can't tell you if other brands are comparable or not. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if the Swatch group don't provide any service in Taiwan.

When someone saying that Rolex is creative and invention driven, then I have to disagree. They do spend a lot of money in R&D but they are really not that creative when it comes to new movement. And they are pretty much living off the same movement base for all these years.

You are right about WIS don't like to get Rolex, and simply because you are paying a lot for the name, but nothing more than that. To me, if you have US$3000, I'd rather get an IWC (if you want a good name), or go for a German brand.

Actually, when you talk about service, how often do you bring it in? I'm just wondering. I always have the impression that service every 3-5 years is sufficient.

Personally, I don't really want the company donating my money to charity for their tax write-off (if there's any). I'd be a lot happier if they lower the price, so that I can use the savings on my favorite charity and my own tax write-off. That's just the practical side of me.

Flyback.
$$$$
訪客
發表 發表於: 星期五 2003-12-05 02:23
引言回覆

That's even more funny....
IWC? for $3000USD you only can get 7750 movement!
Do you know you can get a 7750 watch for under $1000...even $500!

Do you knowhow much they charge for overhaul JLC or IWC in USA?
Rolex isn't #1 watch but when you are talking about service I can say they are the nuber 1 around the world.

Buying a good watch without good service is wasting your $$$$...
flyback
歐美特派員
歐美特派員
發表 發表於: 星期五 2003-12-05 10:00
引言回覆

Although IWC doesn't use their own movement for the $3000 models, I believe they have modified the heck out of that movement so it's not even close to a cheap watch. Frankly, I'm not sure if they are only using the Valjoux 7750, so I'm not going to comment on it. But I can name you a bunch of nice watches that use the same movement, and you may not be able to recognize it when you see them. A lot of companies buy ebauches as the base and modify them. For example, have you ever heard of a guy named Dirk Dornblueth (papageno has one of his watches)? Sure he uses Unitas pocket watch movement, but it's so damn beautiful. Hey, at least he has the guts to show the movement with a crystal back display. So far, I haven't heard anyone saying that it's not a great watch.

You are actually missing my point. I honestly think IWC offers better craftmanship than Rolex, and I'm sure most nicer German brands do a better polishing job. However, I'm not here to argue if IWC is better or not. If you have time, just check out their perpetual calendar and that super moonphase.

You are right about services, and I think it's important to a certain degree. However, you didn't answer my questions in terms of how often do you have to go back to the dealer for service. I really don't know Taiwan at all, so I don't know how much of a premium should one pay. If you have to service the watch once a year, then it's important to get the # 1 service in the world. If you go once ever 5 years, then I don't know if it's worth it. Honestly, I'm not going to sacrifice the quality of the watch for better services. If I have to send my GO back to Germany, so be it. If I had a choice, I'd rather get a watch with top notch quality but offer no service than a not so good watch with top notch service. If you are going to pick a watch because it offers better service, then I really have nothing to say.
從之前的文章開始顯示:
3頁(共7頁)
前往:

無法 在這個版面發表文章
無法 在這個版面回覆文章
無法 在這個版面編輯文章
無法 在這個版面刪除文章
無法 在這個版面進行投票
無法 在這個版面上傳附加圖檔
可以 在這個版面下載已上傳之附加圖檔